FETTUCCINI ALFREDO WITH CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS
Every Christmas Eve, before my family goes to midnight mass at church, my dad makes us Fettucini Alfredo with Chicken. This has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember. Now that I am across the country, I have had to learn how to make this on my own. Unfortunately, my dad doesn’t cook from recipes, but just by feel, so this recipe is as close as I could get. I think I did pretty well! The only difference is that I added asparagus to mine. You could also substitute the chicken for shrimp, or add green onions instead of asparagus. It all depends upon your preferences! Whatever you do though, avoid store-bought, pre-made alfredo sauce. I’ve tried it before and have been extremely disappointed–stay away!
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and oregano. Grill chicken.
2. Boil pasta and drain. Return pasta to pot.
3. Cut asparagus into small pieces and briefly pan-fry with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces
5. Simmer heavy cream, butter, olive oil, garlic, and pepper on low heat. When mixture begins to bubble a little, add Parmesan cheese to thicken.
6. Add the sauce, chicken, and asparagus to the pasta in the pot and mix.
7. Add additional Parmesan cheese to your liking.